Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Cheer and Joyful Tidings.

"So Marvin, what do you intend to do now that you're out of High School?"

"Can't I just, like, call everyone over and give a mass briefing with little diagrams and pie charts so I don't have to reiterate my plans 6 times over?"

- C.J. Ellis and I, in conversation, La Bodega.

The following blogpost will not be in chronological order. If you and I don't discuss the goings on of my life on a regular basis, the following post will most probably be confusing. You have been warned.

So. First thing's first.

MERRIE CHRISTMAS! :D It's been a bloody long year, hasn't it?
... Well it has for me. So there.

The point is we're _here_! We're done with the bloody year! We've survived trudging along hell and highwater to make it this far. Pat yourselves on the back and shake hands with the person on your left and ri---, okay now I sound like a motivational speaker. Moving on.

Second thing's second. Seperti hadirin-hadirat sudah dimaklum: I got a job. No, no not the Illusion, as much as I intend to make that my permanent profession, that wasn't, by all technicality, a job. For one thing, it didn't pay in material assets. (Oh ho! Look! I said "in material assets"! Thus covering my ass from any jeerings of how "Experience is worth more than any gold!" Well played sir, well played!)
Eh, but the point of the matter is I got myself a secure 11am-9pm job, promoting Wireless Broadband in Lau Yat Plaza. (Segue: That person on the surfing board is one ugly motherfucker. I relayed this opinion to my colleagues, and they all reluctantly agreed between fits of laughter)

Now:
my problem is that I'm conflicted as to whether I should pursue this thing in a permanent fashion. I started about 3 weeks ago, but was somewhat forced to take a break while The Illusion made its runs. A good decision, in hindsight, but now that the momentum of "OMG I HAVE A JOB WOOT!" is broken, I'm wondering if I really should go back.

I'm a debater, so I'll do this nice and structured.

Pro: 1) Money. Con: 2) Time
Argument:
Money's great. Including allowance and an optimistic commission rate, I can expect to make a steady 2.5k a month, which, i've been told over and over, is pretty damn respectable. (This was especially put into perspective, when Nicholas says he earns only slightly more than that.)
Counter Argument:
The problem here, as my brother pointed out: is that I don't really need any. I mean, sure I could use a couple Gs to pad my accounts for the future, but I haven't really all that much to spend on. S'not like i've got rent to pay, or a band to produce. Yes, it would be cool to get a flat-screen monitor, but nnngh, I've got so much to do at the moment, y'know?

Which brings us to the contra: Time.

Argument:
Working 10 hours a day is bullshit tiring. It basically demolishes any of my previous plans to properly build up a social network, and the time is put up such that if I ever wanted to audition, or go to rehearsals for a project that I'm already working on (Such as that TV Pendidikan thing. Omg I haven't memorized my script yet shitshitshit) I'd _have_ to take a day off. And i've only got 6 per month to play around with, so I think it comes to a point where I _cannot_ take up the job at all. Especially since I intend to go and learn to drive.

Counter argument:
Toughen the fuck up, princess. 6 days a month may be just enough to handle my driving lessons and the rehearsals and the auditions. The functional word here being: Just. Essentially it would mean I'd have to do nothing else but work (Day job), Work (Actual passion) and study. (Driving) Which sounds to me highly unattractive, but what the fuck else am I gonna do with my time, hey? Take today for instance. I got up at 1, (Bad Marvin! Stand in the corner!) and played Prince of Persia then Facebooked till now (where it is 4.30) Which in a manner, the latter two can be said to be building up that social network we discussed earlier.

So jeeheeebus, its a toughy. Another argument that a couple people have brought up is: You're going to work for the rest of your life. Why start early?

Which is something I'm inclined to agree with, but idle hands, and all that crap.
A little help, dear reader? :D

Moooooving on.

The play's Over! :'( It always sucks when that happens. I personally build my life around these things, which may or may not be a good thing, but I do it nonetheless. And now there's a giant 6pm-11pm sized hole in my life where warmups, makeup, performances, and meeting new people should be.
But still, The Illusion is probably one of the very few things I can look to the pearly gates of heaven and say: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and weep! No really. It was such a blast, and the people were all so so awesome to be around. (Even you, Izzat. Even you.)

So yes. A BIG DAMN THANK YOU to everyone in The Illusion. This was no doubt the best thing that's happened to me this year. (Not exaggerating!)
From Left to right, top down: (Deep breath)
Isma, Azmir, Ka Vee, Some weird bald dude, Syar, Kelvin, Ashaari,
Zalikha, Christine, Sara, Nurul,
Mark, Izzat, Jason.
Not included: Shamir, JasonC, and Johann. Sorry ya couldn't make it. :D

And lastly: Obligatory Youtube Christmas post:


4 comments:

Naoko said...

For extra perspective...

I MAKE 2.5k a month.

Up to you really. I went to work early because I needed the money for assignments and all that (Having to use your own money to go out was also part of it). Anyone will tell you that assignments are EXPENSIVE. In college at least. :D

I'd say slog it out for two months, then take the rest off. Unless you have your own personal stream of money, might as well work for a short while.

... I wish you well on your job though. Really, REALLY well. :)

Nicholas said...

Don't listen to your brother man. Money buys FREEDOM.

It means you don't have to tolerate stupidity from anyone if you don't want to. Imagine: Compulsory irritating family dinners could be a thing of the past.

It also means you're free to do as you please without having to worry about how it's gonna affect your bank balance. You could order to your hearts content at a restaurant, or not have to miss out on theater because the ticket was a bit over budget this month.

Cricky, you could TRAVEL!

Or even show a girl a really nice time... Sure all the best things in life are free, but the fringe benefits go a long way XD

Then again, you might wanna save it all up and go get a degree one day.

-C said...

My personal opinion on the topic is: He's working, not me. So I don't have any problem.

creamcaramello said...

Work! Then you could treat m- er... I mean yourself!!

On the other hand, you can't go out that much. But then again, you'll get to meet new people, hit on girls and you won't be lazing around the house like me. =)